TheGrill 2013: The Convergence
The trends in entertainment are clear and moving fast in 2013.
Quality content - backed by brands, increasingly embraced by Hollywood – is flooding the online space, sparking the latest revolution in the entertainment economy: multichannel networks.
Technology companies from Netflix to Amazon to Microsoft to Hulu are creating original content with established Hollywood talent, a trend that will only grow with Netflix’s slew of Emmy nominations.
And crowdfunding has taken a quantum leap from being a hobby to a legitimate form of funding for risk-taking talent from Zach Braff to Rob Thomas to James Franco.
The opportunities and conflicts raised by all these changes will be the subject of this year’s Grill:
- Is YouTube an ecosystem that will revitalize filmed entertainment? Is it a sustainable model?
- What are the implications of MCNs for traditional television networks?
- How will the latest form of crowdfunding – selling actual shares in entertainment – impact independent movie production?
- Will the unbundling of cable networks continue, and will Aereo – the online antenna-based service – keep winning court challenges by television networks?
- Who are the most important innovators leading Hollywood toward tomorrow’s successful business models?
- Can any company challenge the streaming lead held by Netflix?
Come meet the leaders, the deciders and the disrupters at this year’s Grill!